Wednesday, July 30, 2008

And they took the top off of the mountain


Every Monday morning I get up at 5 AM and start the drive up Route 10 to Central Pennsylvania. Route 10 takes me through the rolling hills of southern Chester County farms and Amish country to Morgantown, where I pick up Interstate 196 to Reading , then turn northwards on Route 61. Route 61 follows the Schuylkill River out of the farmlands and into the heavily forested mountains. It is a beautiful drive which makes me understand the reason that this state was called Penn’s Wood. That is -until I get to Schuylkill Haven (home of the Schuylkill Haven Hurricanes, winners of the1991 Pennsylvania High School football championship, as the shabby billboard on the mountain proudly proclaims) where coal country begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment